Friday, June 3, 2011

What I learned from the NBA Finals Game 2

It was 11 o’clock when I woke up to the incessant rings of the telephone. I answered and it was my father. He asked me to watch the Miami-Dallas game and tell him the score. It wasn’t a problem because I wanted to watch it too. I walked groggily towards the living room and turned on the tv and changed the channel to ABS-CBN, which had the live coverage of the game. It was the 4th quarter with 11 minutes left and Miami was leading 75 to 71. “Good”, I thought, “My dad would be pleased”. So, I texted him the score and the quarter, and he replied to text him the final score. “No problem”, I thought. So I continued to watch the game. Everyone who watched the game today knows that the Miami Heat HAD a 15 pt lead over the Dallas Mavericks. Pretty rad and Dwayne Wade even scored around 38 points. Miami Heat really took control. However, as you may notice, I emphasized the HAD, because it didn’t take long til the Mavericks caught up and around 30 seconds left in the game their score was 90-90. Yes, it didn’t take long because when I left the room to check on the laundry, there was a big gap between the two teams’ scores. When I came back, the score was tied! And it all started with Jason Kidd’s 3-pointer. The Heat was still in the lead that time and I guess Lebron James and Dwayne Wade were pretty confident that they were going to win Game 2. Hence, they didn’t pay attention and failed to block Jason Kidd who had a clear shot at the 3-point line. After that, the Miami Heat lost Game 2. It.. let’s say.. slipped through their fingers. Maybe if they continued to play hard as they had as they were getting a 15 pt lead, they would have won. The moment they lost focus was the moment they started losing the game. Imagine? Leaving Jason Kidd free at the 3-point line? I’m not that knowledgeable about player stats, field goals, etc., but I know that you should not let him or any player have a clear shot at the 3-point line. You’ll never know when they’ll get lucky, ya know? ;)

There are times in life when we will feel complacent because we’ve attained “much” or because we’re “sure” that we’re going to get the results that we want. However, we must remember, the game is not over yet. In the last 6 minutes (like Jason Kidd) or maybe in the last 11 seconds (like Reggie Miller), “game-changing” things might happen. In just that moment when you lose all the focus and the determination you had in the first half of the game, that’s when you start losing.

Do you remember the last time you’ve lost focus and been complacent?

I remember my last time and I hope it’ll be the last.

I hope it’ll be yours too.

Go for your dreams!

Be like the Mavericks who never let that 15 pt lead discourage them. ;)

[What team am I actually supporting here? :)) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment